From mboxrd@z Thu Jan 1 00:00:00 1970 From: jturgeon To: bbs@bbs.copland.systems Subject: Re: Email self-hosting solution Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2026 05:22:41 +0000 Message-ID: In-Reply-To: <643b0e931f655c20d72fd079547bc748@bbs.copland.systems> References: <643b0e931f655c20d72fd079547bc748@bbs.copland.systems> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable MIME-Version: 1.0 I've self-hosted email on and off over a couple years, ultimately decided I d= id not have the time to keep up with maintenance and upfront configuration ef= fort of the server(s), this was before I knew about configuration management = tools like Ansible. My email stack was OpenBSD with OpenSMTPD, Dovecot. It wa= s a really good learning experience and I recommend everyone try it at least = once. Would I switch to a self hosted email system as my primary, Like the other Jo= sh mentioned deliverability is important for business and personal email. I'd= rather have a contract with a paid email provider that is a little more reli= able than my 1 - 2 server setup. People argue hosting your own email is more secure, but what I've come to rea= lise over the years is that email is not secure, and you can not make it secu= re unless everyone and everything starts using pgp.=20 There are providers like Proton and Tuta, but I just don't see a point in e2e= encryption when the emails are sent via SMTP, plus you then need to use thei= r email client / bridge program which is a pain. Anyway I think if you read the privacy policy and the terms and conditions fo= r a paid provider, and they are acceptable to YOU (as a primary email system = solution). Use that instead of hosting your own email. --=20 https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/aab0ffddf4