COPLAND.SYSTEMS BBS
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: jturgeon <bbs@bbs.copland.systems>
To: bbs@bbs.copland.systems
Subject: Re: Email self-hosting solution
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2026 05:22:41 +0000	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <aab0ffddf4a63651f5c1cf26d2cbbb74@bbs.copland.systems> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <643b0e931f655c20d72fd079547bc748@bbs.copland.systems>

I've self-hosted email on and off over a couple years, ultimately decided I did not have the time to keep up with maintenance and upfront configuration effort of the server(s), this was before I knew about configuration management tools like Ansible. My email stack was OpenBSD with OpenSMTPD, Dovecot. It was a really good learning experience and I recommend everyone try it at least once.

Would I switch to a self hosted email system as my primary, Like the other Josh mentioned deliverability is important for business and personal email. I'd rather have a contract with a paid email provider that is a little more reliable than my 1 - 2 server setup.

People argue hosting your own email is more secure, but what I've come to realise over the years is that email is not secure, and you can not make it secure unless everyone and everything starts using pgp. 

There are providers like Proton and Tuta, but I just don't see a point in e2e encryption when the emails are sent via SMTP, plus you then need to use their email client / bridge program which is a pain.

Anyway I think if you read the privacy policy and the terms and conditions for a paid provider, and they are acceptable to YOU (as a primary email system solution). Use that instead of hosting your own email.

-- 
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/aab0ffddf4

  parent reply	other threads:[~2026-09-01  5:22 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 7+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2026-08-22 12:19 Email self-hosting solution cyberarboretum
2026-08-22 19:27 ` SquatnDog
2026-08-22 20:26   ` cyberarboretum
2026-08-23  1:56 ` joshuablais
2026-08-23  2:38 ` mattken
2026-09-01  5:22 ` jturgeon [this message]
2026-09-01 18:08 ` SquatnDog

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=aab0ffddf4a63651f5c1cf26d2cbbb74@bbs.copland.systems \
    --to=bbs@bbs.copland.systems \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link
Be sure your reply has a Subject: header at the top and a blank line before the message body.
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).