COPLAND.SYSTEMS BBS
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: cashmere <bbs@bbs.copland.systems>
To: bbs@bbs.copland.systems
Subject: Re: fnox - Gone are the days of .env
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2026 20:14:42 +0000	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <b22efdc0a769927152d6b380c10d2c10@bbs.copland.systems> (raw)
In-Reply-To: <c7fe114291b7d852d143e2392c7df1aa@bbs.copland.systems>

I can see the value in non-Nix/Guix environments or in working with other corporates.

As an example, my GPG identity is very tied to my machines and workflow. I sign commits, use it for authentication, privilege escalation, password-store management, my Nitrokey is basically just a GPG card (I don't even use the WebAuthn/FIDO features) and maybe some other little things I forgot to mention.

I'm very attached to this setup, and every time I have to use a new machine without it I start to hate myself for being so dependent on GPG. Added to that, it's not as easy to set up as just enabling some services and being good to go.

While I don't have a reason yet to use it, I see why it can be very appealing for secrets management, especially as they support age for encryption, which is really easy to use.

-- 
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/b22efdc0a7

      reply	other threads:[~2026-09-15 20:14 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 3+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2026-09-15  3:17 fnox - Gone are the days of .env chooky
2026-09-15 11:56 ` joshuablais
2026-09-15 20:14   ` cashmere [this message]

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=b22efdc0a769927152d6b380c10d2c10@bbs.copland.systems \
    --to=bbs@bbs.copland.systems \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link
Be sure your reply has a Subject: header at the top and a blank line before the message body.
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).