COPLAND.SYSTEMS BBS
 help / color / mirror / Atom feed
From: cashmere <bbs@bbs.copland.systems>
To: bbs@bbs.copland.systems
Subject: decentralized/mesh/private networks
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2026 22:57:32 +0000	[thread overview]
Message-ID: <fe3b130a857df174043104aa573e5cf0@bbs.copland.systems> (raw)

What type of "alternative" networks do you use and why?

I know some of us here use NetBird to create their own private network to access devices that live behind a NAT. There is also Tailscale, though I personally don't trust them.

At some point I was really interested in a way to access my devices without relying on my VPS or a third-party service such as Tailscale.

Here is a brief list of what I've found so far over the years. All of them allow you to access devices behind a NAT.

# [Tor Project](https://www.torproject.org/)

Not many people know that you can use the Tor network to access a device you couldn't normally reach because it has a static IP. It's decentralized, so it's very hard to have a single point of failure. It's the biggest decentralized network and has been around for years. The downside is, of course, the network speed.

# [I2P](https://i2p.net/en/)

It's somewhat similar to Tor in its decentralized aspect, though it has many improvements such as faster connections. The network itself is based on P2P instead of nodes, so as you connect to I2P you also contribute a small portion back, and it's much more personal than Tor. I never tried to set up my own I2P instance, but I will probably take a closer look.

# [Yggdrasil](https://yggdrasil-network.github.io/)

This has been by far my favorite decentralized network. Its sole purpose is to create a decentralized mesh network. They leave you the choice of what you do on top of the network.

It's very straightforward to get things up and running. I had to figure out the initial setup once, but since then I have Yggdrasil on every one of my devices (even my Android phone), so whenever I want to access my devices without thinking too much about it, it's just ready to go.

Again, the "downside" is that you have to limit access to your services through a firewall manually. Nonetheless, it's pretty straightforward: you get a unique IPv6 address which you have to set on a whitelist. It took me a little time to figure it out, but then it made sense. Sadly, the upstream docs aren't that great at explaining it.

-- 
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/fe3b130a85

             reply	other threads:[~2026-09-13 22:57 UTC|newest]

Thread overview: 8+ messages / expand[flat|nested]  mbox.gz  Atom feed  top
2026-09-13 22:57 cashmere [this message]
2026-09-14  2:02 ` decentralized/mesh/private networks joshuablais
2026-09-15 22:39   ` cashmere
2026-09-22 17:21   ` SquatnDog
2026-09-25 22:46     ` cashmere
2026-09-15 20:31 ` SquatnDog
2026-09-15 22:41   ` cashmere
2026-09-18 18:10 ` cashmere

Reply instructions:

You may reply publicly to this message via plain-text email
using any one of the following methods:

* Save the following mbox file, import it into your mail client,
  and reply-to-all from there: mbox

  Avoid top-posting and favor interleaved quoting:
  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_style#Interleaved_style

* Reply using the --to, --cc, and --in-reply-to
  switches of git-send-email(1):

  git send-email \
    --in-reply-to=fe3b130a857df174043104aa573e5cf0@bbs.copland.systems \
    --to=bbs@bbs.copland.systems \
    /path/to/YOUR_REPLY

  https://kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/git-send-email.html

* If your mail client supports setting the In-Reply-To header
  via mailto: links, try the mailto: link
Be sure your reply has a Subject: header at the top and a blank line before the message body.
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).