* Re: Typing on phones
2026-08-18 22:10 Typing on phones mattken
@ 2026-08-18 22:20 ` cashmere
2026-08-18 22:28 ` mattken
2026-08-19 23:46 ` SquatnDog
` (4 subsequent siblings)
5 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: cashmere @ 2026-08-18 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
I need my proper keyboard and text editor. no phone in this world could replace my setup.
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/c81f9ff448
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread* Re: Typing on phones
2026-08-18 22:10 Typing on phones mattken
2026-08-18 22:20 ` cashmere
@ 2026-08-19 23:46 ` SquatnDog
2026-08-20 2:06 ` joshuablais
` (3 subsequent siblings)
5 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: SquatnDog @ 2026-08-19 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
As a xennial, I prefer full sized keyboard. Typing on phones for me started with T9 >:| Smartphones are hardly better. I spent too much time today typing on an iOS ssh app. Couldn't wait to get home and unleash all 10-fingers.
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/a3969326f1
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread* Re: Typing on phones
2026-08-18 22:10 Typing on phones mattken
2026-08-18 22:20 ` cashmere
2026-08-19 23:46 ` SquatnDog
@ 2026-08-20 2:06 ` joshuablais
2026-08-20 3:05 ` chooky
2026-08-20 22:39 ` chooky
` (2 subsequent siblings)
5 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: joshuablais @ 2026-08-20 2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
The benefit of the little 34 split is it's fairly portable ;). Typing on a phone is about 1/3 my keyboard speed, so it's totally neutered.
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/44d8c79184
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread* Re: Typing on phones
2026-08-18 22:10 Typing on phones mattken
` (2 preceding siblings ...)
2026-08-20 2:06 ` joshuablais
@ 2026-08-20 22:39 ` chooky
2026-08-21 2:52 ` joshuablais
2026-08-20 23:35 ` javelinas
2026-09-01 18:25 ` SquatnDog
5 siblings, 1 reply; 11+ messages in thread
From: chooky @ 2026-08-20 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
I can't speak on the usage of a phone keyboard for programming but for general texting I find Futo keyboard and swipe assisted typing to be very fast and comfortable. Futo keyboard also has the nice feature of when in landscape mode the keyboard splits.
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/a128bac0a2
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread* Re: Typing on phones
2026-08-18 22:10 Typing on phones mattken
` (3 preceding siblings ...)
2026-08-20 22:39 ` chooky
@ 2026-08-20 23:35 ` javelinas
2026-09-01 18:25 ` SquatnDog
5 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: javelinas @ 2026-08-20 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
They are two different things, I think. Phones are great for small, quick actions (well, "great", but that's another topic), keyboards and monitors are better for long, complex tasks.
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/6a1a9cbf33
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread* Re: Typing on phones
2026-08-18 22:10 Typing on phones mattken
` (4 preceding siblings ...)
2026-08-20 23:35 ` javelinas
@ 2026-09-01 18:25 ` SquatnDog
5 siblings, 0 replies; 11+ messages in thread
From: SquatnDog @ 2026-09-01 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
Another comment I want add is the auto-correction found on iphones (and assuming android included) are making typing so much more difficult. An example that we should all relate to are the words developers type that the iphone thinks is a misspelling and autocorrects to something that completely changes the meaning of the sentence.
These phones must think that all there users have only high-school vocabulary. I would much rather a word stayed mispelled than corrected.
"A mispelt wrd is prolly easyr to understand" than...
"A missed felt we'd is trolly waste to understand"
While writing this, I decided to turn off my autocorrection and see how that affects my frustruation. Or maybe the problem is I've got meaty Trump-fingers.
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/7fee667308
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 11+ messages in thread