* What do you self host?
@ 2026-09-02 22:58 jturgeon
2026-09-03 1:41 ` joshuablais
` (2 more replies)
0 siblings, 3 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: jturgeon @ 2026-09-02 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
The talk about self-hosting email has sparked my interest in what others self-host. I understand people self-host things for the love of the game, but I'm more interested in services that are practical to self-host, and hold a purpose in an individuals life/workflow/etc.
I self-host my website, git repos (on website) and that's about it at the moment. I want to self-host more of the services I use so I'm not reliant on a provider (if practical), but I also don't want to spend hours configuring and maintaining things. I have NUC device with a N100 CPU, which could probably do the job for some basic services.
Things I pay for and would rather self-host:
* Storage (NFS, Samba)
* Password Manager
* Music - I'm a Spotify user, I really like the discoverability feature which has stopped me from using anything else.
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/6770a6ba24
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread* Re: What do you self host?
2026-09-02 22:58 What do you self host? jturgeon
@ 2026-09-03 1:41 ` joshuablais
2026-09-04 18:37 ` mattken
2026-09-11 19:32 ` cashmere
2 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: joshuablais @ 2026-09-03 1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
I essentially self host everything that I possibly can that makes sense to do so. I still use Spotify, but in the coming months that will be the last subscription I cut.
All three of the things you mentioned are what I would classify as "very self hostable" in that you can easily get them local or on a VPS. I'd recommend password-store for password manager, storage, any S3 compatible object storage or storage box will do.
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/e8305b8be7
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread
* Re: What do you self host?
2026-09-02 22:58 What do you self host? jturgeon
2026-09-03 1:41 ` joshuablais
@ 2026-09-04 18:37 ` mattken
2026-09-10 23:29 ` SquatnDog
2026-09-11 19:32 ` cashmere
2 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: mattken @ 2026-09-04 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
# Media
- Jellyfin: Music and some movies
You can use [Explo](https://github.com/LumePart/Explo) for music discovery.
- Audiobookshelf: Audiobooks
- Kavita: eBooks
- Immich: Photo backup
- Miniflux: RSS aggregator
- Readeck: Bookmark manager
# Development
- Forgejo: Github alternative
- OpenGist: Github Gists alternative
# Other
- SearXNG: Search aggregator (Google and DuckDuckGo alternative)
- Radicale: Calendar and contacts sync
- Soju: IRC bouncer
Traefik manages the proxies for all the services, and it gets domain traffic via Wireguard proxy routed through a public VPS.
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/64c3a9ed2a
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread
* Re: What do you self host?
2026-09-02 22:58 What do you self host? jturgeon
2026-09-03 1:41 ` joshuablais
2026-09-04 18:37 ` mattken
@ 2026-09-11 19:32 ` cashmere
2026-09-13 20:38 ` joshuablais
2 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: cashmere @ 2026-09-11 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
### [atuin.cashmere.rs](https://atuin.cashmere.rs)
A self hosted service to keep your shell history in sync across multiple hosts with support for encryption.
### [send.cashmere.rs](https://send.cashmere.rs)
### [rss.cashmere.rs](https://rss.cashmere.rs)
My self hosted [Tiny Tiny RSS](https://tt-rss.org/) which comes with some goodies.
### irc.cashmere.rs:6697
My personal [IRC](https://ergo.chat/) instance for research and dev purposes. Feel free to say hi ^^.
### bouncer.cashmere.rs:6699
A [soju](https://soju.im/) instance with file sharing enabled.
### [copland](https://copland.systems)
### [fossil instance](https://relic.copland.systems)
### [this bbs obviously lol](https://bbs.copland.systems)
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/277ce6f5b6
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread
* Re: What do you self host?
2026-09-11 19:32 ` cashmere
@ 2026-09-13 20:38 ` joshuablais
2026-09-13 22:00 ` cashmere
0 siblings, 1 reply; 7+ messages in thread
From: joshuablais @ 2026-09-13 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
I am going to be slowly moving my web services and client work to a Lenovo p360 I just got in the mail today. Will probably poast an article about the migration.
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/dec70e555b
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread
* Re: What do you self host?
2026-09-13 20:38 ` joshuablais
@ 2026-09-13 22:00 ` cashmere
0 siblings, 0 replies; 7+ messages in thread
From: cashmere @ 2026-09-13 22:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
To: bbs
I am interested in the services you are going to host.
Do you have some heavy services that you could replace with simpler alternatives?
For example, Jellyfin and the *arr stack in general were very annoying to set up, migrate, and configure, at least for me. I like to have my shows in German and English, and while it was possible to set that up at some point, I just made a cut there. My replacement nowadays is just to SSH into my VPS, download the stuff I need, and then stream the media I want over SSHFS and mpv.
While it involves some "manual work," it removed for me all the overhead and annoyances I had previously.
--
https://bbs.copland.systems/forumpost/0a48767aa9
^ permalink raw reply [flat|nested] 7+ messages in thread
end of thread, other threads:[~2026-09-13 22:00 UTC | newest]
Thread overview: 7+ messages (download: mbox.gz follow: Atom feed
-- links below jump to the message on this page --
2026-09-02 22:58 What do you self host? jturgeon
2026-09-03 1:41 ` joshuablais
2026-09-04 18:37 ` mattken
2026-09-10 23:29 ` SquatnDog
2026-09-11 19:32 ` cashmere
2026-09-13 20:38 ` joshuablais
2026-09-13 22:00 ` cashmere
This is a public inbox, see mirroring instructions
for how to clone and mirror all data and code used for this inbox;
as well as URLs for NNTP newsgroup(s).